As a homeowner or business owner, you want to ensure that your doors are secure and functional.
One common issue that many people face is slamming doors. This can be problematic because it can damage the door, create noise, and even pose a safety hazard.
To address this issue, anti slamming door hinges have been developed. I will explain what anti-slamming door hinges are, how they work, their benefits, and the factors to consider before buying them.
Anti slamming door hinges are a type of hinge that is designed to prevent doors from slamming shut. They are commonly used in homes, businesses, and public buildings to improve safety, reduce noise, and prevent damage to the door and frame.
These hinges work by using a hydraulic mechanism that slows down the door as it closes.
This mechanism is built into the hinge and is designed to create resistance against the door’s movement, thus preventing it from slamming shut.
Related: Best 20 Options to Soundproof Sliding Doors
Table of Contents
Anti Slamming Door Hinges Machanism
Anti slamming door hinges work by using a hydraulic mechanism that slows down the door as it closes.
This mechanism is built into the hinge and consists of a cylinder filled with oil or gas. As the door closes, the oil or gas is forced through a small opening, which creates resistance against the door’s movement.
This resistance slows down the door and prevents it from slamming shut.
The amount of resistance can be adjusted by changing the size of the opening, which allows for customization based on the weight of the door and the desired closing speed.
Soundproof: How to Quiet a Noisy Car AC Compressor
Types of Anti Slamming Door Hinges
There are several types of anti slamming door hinges available on the market. These include the traditional ball-bearing hinge, the spring-loaded hinge, and the gas-filled cylinder hinge.
Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it is important to consider your needs before making a purchase.
- Traditional ball-bearing hinge: These hinges provide an adjustable closing speed and are usually the most inexpensive option.
- Spring-loaded hinge: These hinges feature a spring-loaded mechanism to create a smooth, controlled closing speed.
- Gas-filled cylinder hinges: These are the most expensive type of anti slamming hinges, but offer the smoothest and quietest closing performance.
Soundproofing: 4 Steps to Make Window Soundproof
Buying Guide for Anti Slamming Door Hinges
Before buying anti slamming door hinges, there are several factors to consider. Firstly, the weight and size of the door must be taken into account.
Different hinges are designed to handle different weights and sizes of doors, so it is important to choose the right one for your needs.
Secondly, the desired closing speed of the door must be considered. Some hinges offer adjustable closing speeds, while others have a fixed speed.
Thirdly, the type of building and the level of usage must be taken into account. Residential and commercial buildings have different needs, and different hinges are designed for different levels of usage.
Lastly, the finish of the hinge must be considered to ensure it matches the decor of the building.
Top 5 Anti Slamming Door Hinges
There are several top brands of anti slamming door hinges available on the market.
Some of the most popular brands include:
1 Happy Hands Anti Slam
Happy Hands Anti Slam is a plastic solution that ensures your children’s hands remain safe from door-trapping accidents.
It is more reliable than foam stoppers and has a high level of durability.
The adhesive pad makes it quick and easy to install. Simply attach it to the door and rotate it as needed to close it.
- Provides a significant safety benefit by preventing finger-trapping accidents in the handle side of the door.
- Made of high-quality and durable plastic that is a long-lasting alternative to foam C-shaped door finger trap stoppers.
- The product has been designed and tested to ensure maximum durability and effectiveness.
- The adhesive pad makes for easy installation and can be left on the door for future use.
- Although these tapes serve their purpose, they fell off the door a few days after application.
2 Latchy Catchy Anti Door Slam
The Latchy Catchy anti-slamming door hinge is a patented door silencer and jammer that will change the way you use interior doors.
It eliminates the frustration of loud noises that could disturb your peace or wake the baby. You can now open and close doors quietly with ease.
It is perfect for households with curious toddlers or mischievous pets as it prevents them from getting locked in or out of a room.
The Latchy Catchy door jammer also keeps the latch from engaging, ensuring a silent room.
It fits all door shapes and sizes, making it a one-size-fits-all solution. Upgrade to Latchy Catchy and enjoy peace and quiet at an unbeatable price.
- The Latchy Catchy anti-slamming door hinge prevents doors from slamming, making it ideal for use in homes where noise levels need to be kept low.
- The door silencer/door jammer is patented, indicating that it is unique and has been rigorously tested.
- The product is versatile, fitting all door shapes and sizes, making it easy to install.
- The Latchy Catchy prevents toddlers and pets from getting locked in or out of a room, making it a useful safety feature for families with young children or pets.
- I was initially quite doubtful, but let me tell you, it really does work!
3 SAFELSAM Stop Door Slams
SAFESLAM Stop Door Slams is a safety device that springs into action every time the door opens, ensuring that doors close safely without the need to remove any other safety devices.
The device is both safe and durable, with the ability to stop heavy slamming doors without damaging the door or frame.
SAFESLAM is also pet-friendly and prevents doors from slamming on pets’ tails. It can be used on any door, including bedrooms, bathrooms, playrooms, and front and back doors.
Kids love SAFESLAM as it is cute and protects them, while parents appreciate its quiet functionality.
- SAFESLAM is always ready to protect as it springs into a safety position every time the door opens.
- SAFESLAM is firm enough to stop even heavy hard-slamming doors, yet soft enough not to damage your door or door frame.
- It is pet-friendly and keeps doors open so pets don’t get stuck in a room.’ ‘
1. It can be tricky to install, so make sure you read the instructions carefully before attempting it.
4 EUDEMON Adjustable Door Guard
The EUDEMON baby safety door stopper is a convenient device that can rotate 180°, making it easy to switch between its working and non-working modes.
It can be installed on doors using 3M VHB Adhesive, which is strong, vicious, and easy to remove without damaging the door. The door stopper is made of flexible TPR material, which is designed to last long and doesn’t harm the door.
It reduces the sound of doors shutting suddenly, stops doors from closing and hurting children or pinching their fingers, allows easy access for pets, and prevents being locked out due to forgetting keys.
This small and unobtrusive device blends seamlessly into home environments, preventing babies from playing with it out of curiosity.
- The EUDEMON baby safety door stopper is a versatile device that can rotate 180°.
- The door stopper can be easily installed on doors using 3M VHB Adhesive.
- The door stopper is made of flexible TPR material that is designed to last long and doesn’t harm the door.
- It reduces the sound of doors shutting suddenly, and stops doors from closing and hurting children or pinching their fingers. ‘
- The 3M VHB Adhesive may not work effectively in extreme weather conditions or on dirty surfaces.
5 Neobay Door Pinch Guard
The Neobay door stopper for babies has a 1.5-inch gap that prevents injuries and stops doors from slamming, keeping children and pets from getting locked out.
It is made of safe and non-toxic silicone, which has passed REACH and FDA regulations.
This pinch guard is durable and can last up to 5 years, which is 10 times longer than foam door stoppers. It is perfect for protecting little hands and fingers from getting pinched or jammed.
The flexible C shape makes it easy to attach to any size door. The innovative ‘teeth’ make the guard and door combination more stable, so it won’t fall off even with a strong slam.
Additionally, it provides a soft cushion between the door and door frame and can be placed on the side or top of the door.
- Prevents doors from slamming, which can reduce noise and protect the door and surrounding walls from damage.
- The premium material used to make the hinge indicates that it is durable
- The long service life of the hinge means that it will not need to be replaced frequently.
- Easy to install, even for those without much DIY experience.
- The hinge is user-friendly, making it easy for people of all ages and abilities to use.
Benefits of Using Anti Slamming Door Hinges
Using anti slamming door hinges can provide several benefits.
- Firstly, they improve safety by preventing doors from slamming shut, which can cause injury or damage to property.
- Secondly, they reduce noise by creating a quiet and controlled closing of the door. This is particularly useful in public buildings, offices, and homes where noise pollution can be a problem.
- Thirdly, they extend the life of the door and frame by preventing damage caused by slamming.
- Lastly, they provide a professional and modern look to the door and are available in a variety of finishes to match any decor.
Installation Process of Anti Slamming Door Hinges
The installation process of anti slamming door hinges varies depending on the type of hinge being used.
However, generally, the process involves removing the old hinges, measuring and marking the new hinge location, and drilling pilot holes for the screws.
The new hinge can then be attached to the door and frame using the screws provided. The closing speed of the hinge may need to be adjusted for a smooth and silent operation.
It is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions to ensure a proper installation.
Maintenance and Care for Anti Slamming Door Hinges
To ensure the proper functioning of anti slamming door hinges, regular maintenance is required. This includes cleaning the hinge mechanism and lubricating it with oil or grease.
It is also important to check the hinge for any damage or wear and tear and replace it if necessary.
Additionally, it is important to avoid slamming the door, as this can cause damage to the hinge and the door.
Conclusion on Anti Slamming Door Hinges
Anti slamming door hinges are an excellent solution to the problem of slamming doors. They provide several benefits, including improved safety, reduced noise, extended door life, and a professional look.
Before buying anti slamming door hinges, it is important to consider factors such as door weight, closing speed, building type, and hinge finish.
With regular maintenance and care, anti slamming door hinges can provide years of reliable service.
Q1: How do I stop my door from slamming from the hinge?
Ans: Installing an anti slamming door hinge is an effective way to keep the door from slamming shut. These hinges are designed to absorb some of the momentum created when closing the door, thus reducing or eliminating the sound and damage associated with it.
Q2: How do anti slam hinges work?
Ans: Anti slam hinges work by using an internal spring and brake system that is calibrated to regulate the closing speed of the door. This mechanism absorbs some of the force created when the door is shut, resulting in a quieter, less damaging closure.
Q3: What can you put on a door to keep it from slamming?
Ans: Installing an anti slamming door hinge is the most effective way to keep a door from slamming. This type of hinge is designed to slow the doors closing speed, thus reducing or eliminating any sound and damage caused by it.
Q4: Are soft close hinges worth it?
Ans: Yes, soft close hinges are definitely worth it. They provide an effective solution to the problem of slamming doors, and offer several additional benefits such as improved safety, reduced noise, extended door life and a professional look.
Q5: Why is slamming doors bad in a house?
Ans: Slamming doors can be bad for a house for several reasons. The noise created by slamming doors can be disturbing and even dangerous, and the force generated when a door is shut can cause damage to both the doorframe and door itself. Installing anti slamming hinges is an effective way to reduce or eliminate these risks.
Q5: What can I use to jam a door?
Ans: Several items can be used to jam a door shut, such as a heavy object, rope and a latch. However, these methods are not recommended since they can damage the door or frame and make it difficult to open. Proper installation of an anti slamming door hinge is the best way to keep a door from slamming shut.
Q6: Do door jammers work?
Ans: Yes, door jammers work as a temporary fix to keep a door from slamming shut. However, these methods require some effort and are usually not recommended as a long-term solution. Instead, installing an anti slamming door hinge is more effective and reliable way to reduce or prevent the effects of slamming doors.
Q7: How do you install anti slam hinges?
Ans: Generally, anti slam hinges are installed on the top and bottom of the door, with two screws for each hinge. The spring and brake mechanisms attached to the hinge should be adjusted according to the manufacturer instructions for optimum results.
Q8: How do I stop my kitchen door from slamming?
Ans: Installing an anti slamming door hinge is the best way to stop a kitchen door from slamming. This type of hinge is specifically designed to slow down the closing speed of the door, thus limiting or eliminating noise and damage caused by slamming.
Q9: How do you quiet a loud door hinge?
Ans: To quiet a loud door hinge, you can lubricate the moving parts with a lubricant of your choice. If this doesn’t help, you may need to replace the hinge with a new one that is better suited to reduce noise. Additionally, installing an anti slamming door hinge will help to reduce any sound and damage caused by it.